- Open Records
It is the policy of Jasper County to assure open public access to all records of the County to the extent permitted by the Iowa State Open Records Act and Federal Freedom of Information Acts (FOIA). Many public records can be accessed on line. If you cannot locate a specific record you are encourage to contact the appropriate department or the Auditor’s office to obtain the record.
General Information Requests
- Birth, Death or Marriage Certificates: contact the Recorder's Office
- Court Related Matters: contact the Clerk of Court at 641-792-3255
- Property Taxes, Motor Vehicle Licenses: contact the Treasurer's Office
- Voting: contact the Auditor's Office
Official Freedom of Information Act Requests
For information not available on the website, please contact the specific department and ask for instructions on how to file your request. The FOIA Request Form (PDF) is recommended, but is not required when requesting information. All requests for information will be acted upon in a timely manner and in accordance with the law.
Many FOIA Requests can be responded to quickly, however some require additional research or review, you will receive a reply within 10 business days. A fee of $0.25 per page will be charged for all requests containing 10 or more pages. Additionally if an extensive search requiring more than 30 minutes of staff time is necessary the Administrative Policy permits a fee for the time.
State law permits certain records classified as confidential to be considered exempt from the public records requests. Confidential records include but are not limited to medical records, employee related files, documents concerning litigation or claims, and names or addresses of complainants. Confidential records may be withheld, and confidential information within an otherwise open record may be redacted prior to a record’s release for public examination and copying.
About Iowa Open Records & Open Meetings Laws
- The Iowa Open Records Law is a series of laws designed to guarantee that the public has access to public records of government bodies at all levels in Iowa. The law was first enacted in 1967.
- The Iowa Open Meetings Law legislates the methods by which public meetings are conducted.
- FOIA refers to the federal act.
- Anyone may request public records in Iowa. "Every person shall have the right to examine and copy public records."
- Examination of public records (Iowa Chapter 22)
- Official meetings open to public (Iowa Chapter 21)