Tanning Facilities Rule
The Jasper County Environmental Health Department is responsible for inspections of public tanning beds and booths located within Jasper County through a contractual program with the Iowa Department of Public Health. Inspections are conducted to ensure that tanning facilities are properly permitted and operated in accordance with Iowa Administrative Code, Chapter 46, and Chapter 38 (PDF).
Inspection fees range from $33 per tanning bed or booth up to a maximum fee of $330 per facility. Tanning operators are required to pass a Tanning Operator Exam. See 'Obtaining a Tanning Facility License' below.
Please contact the Environmental Health Staff between the hours of 8:00 AM – 3:00 PM Monday – Friday (except holidays) if you would like additional information.
Obtaining a Tanning Facility License
Jasper County inspects tanning facilities and administers the certified operators test for Jasper County. Testing is by appointment only.
- Obtain information and study materials from the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) website.
- Contact Jasper County Environmental Health to schedule a Certified Operator Test.
- At least one person at the tanning facility must be licensed as a certified operator.
- There is a $25 fee payable to Jasper County Environmental Health each time the test is taken.
- The Certified Operator Test consists of 75 multiple choice and/or true/false questions. A minimum of 70 questions must be answered correctly to receive certification.
- This test is open book and you may bring the above information with you to use during testing.
- A Certificate of Completion will be issued immediately after passing the test.
- Send a copy of the certificate, along with your application (also found at the above website) and fee to IDPH. Once you’ve received your license in the mail, you may begin operating your tanning facility. Inspections will occur annually.